- Voters in 18 nations were influenced by online trolls, propaganda and disinformation campaigns originating from different sources in the last year, according to a new study.
- According to research carried out by Freedom House, democratic integrity has only deteriorated in the past seven years, and as of June 2016 the countries most affected were Ukraine, Egypt, and Turkey.
- The assessment was carried out in 65 countries, which make up 87 percent of the world’s internet usage — showing questionable election results go far beyond fake news in the US.
- This means that voters were influenced by erroneous information regarding opposing candidates as well as bots and trolls.
- The research stated within its key findings that governments in 30 countries manipulated social media to undermine democracy and control online conversation, as well as governments restricting live videos on platforms like Facebook and Snapchat in order to restrict the spread of anti-government protests.
Inés Casserly / The Next Web - 2 years ago